Fumigated packing material ISPM15
An increasing number of countries demand ISPM15 for wooden packaging entering the country. This requirement is aimed at preventing the spread of living vermin through wood.
Wat does ISPM 15 stand for?
ISPM 15 is a set of global agreements with regard to the requirements for the import and export of wooden packaging. This global standard has been established by the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) and laid down under the title "Guidelines for regulating wood packaging material in international trade."
These agreements include the following provisions:
- Which particular products are subject to treatment.
- The treatments allowed: heat treatment at the heart of the wood for at least 30 minutes at a temperature of 56 degrees.
- The way marking of the packaging is to be affixed: characteristics of the wooden packaging endorsed with the official IPPC logo, indicating that it has been treated in accordance with ISPM15.
- Conducting a comprehensive administration which serves as proof that the wooden packaging is actually made of treated wood.
Which types of wood are covered by ISPM 15?
ISPM 15 applies to wooden packaging, i.e. wood or wood products (excluding paper), which are used for support, protection or transportation of goods. This includes pallets (with or without collars and pallet boxes), industrial packaging (export packages, crates), crates, reels, dunnage, etc.
How to comply with ISPM 15?
As an importer or exporter it is highly recommendable never to take any risk when using wood packaging:
- Only do business with registered companies and verify the three-digit registration number.
- Verify the invoice of the registered company: this should indicate ‘ISPM 15’ as well as the supplier’s registration number in the central register of SMHV.
- Check the IPPC mark: the internationally recognised IPPC mark should be affixed identifiably and preferably on at least two opposite sides of the wooden packaging. Here is what these marks look like.
Fumigation of a loaded container
In case you are dealing with non fumigated (packaging) materials, either as exporter or importer, please contact us. Possibly your entire container can still be fumigated and certified by means of heat treatment. Our staff will be glad to provide you more detailed information on this issue.
The ISPM 15 mark
NL = ISO country code (NL)
000 = 3-digit registration number of the treating party
HT / DH = Method of treatment: Heat Treatment (HT), Dielectric Heating (DH) or Methyl Bromide (MB).
Below you will find an up-to-date list of countries which only allow wooden packaging that complies with SPM 15:
- Costa Rica
- All countries in the European Union
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Sri Lanka
- South Africa
- South Korea